Welcome to Santa Monica College -- Black Collegians Program
Umoja, (a Kiswahili word meaning unity) is a community and critical resource dedicated to enhancing the cultural and educational experiences of African American and other students. We believe that when the voices and histories of students are deliberately and intentionally recognized, the opportunity for self-efficacy emerges and a foundation is formed for academic success. Umoja actively serves and promotes student success for all students through a curriculum and pedagogy responsive to the legacy of the African and African American Diasporas.
The Black Collegians Program/Umoja Community at SMC is designed to assist students of African descent in transferring to four year universities and obtaining their Associate degree. We offer services to help you become academically competitive and to set personal goals. Black Collegians program staff and counselors provide a constant source of encouragement to our students and work with you to ensure that your needs are met. We are located within the Counseling Complex in the African American Collegian Center.
- Academic, career, and personal counseling.
- Assisting in the development of students’ skills that are necessary for college success.
- Educational and cultural activities in which students can participate.
- Teaching students to develop a life plan that involves personal, social and academic responsibilities.
- A selection of general education courses that are transferable to the UC and CSU systems as well as pre-collegiate level courses in English and math.
- Scholarships to active participants.
- Book vouchers
- Priority registration
- A full-time math instructional assistant who tutors, provide study guides for all levels of math, and supervises student tutors.
- Leadership opportunities through the Black Collegians Club
For more information, visit our website.
Thursday, April 6, 2023