- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Salary Grade: TBD
- Reports to: Interim Associate Executive Director/Executive Director
- Position Status: 50%/Stipend/Fulltime/Contract
- Location: Sacramento, California
Umoja is a community of educators and learners committed to the academic success, personal growth, and self-actualization of African American and other students. The Umoja Community seeks to educate the whole student–body, mind, and spirit. Informed by an ethic of love and its vital power, the Umoja Community will deliberately engage students as full participants in the construction of knowledge and critical thought. The Umoja Community seeks to help students experience themselves as valuable and worthy of an education.
The Events & Communications Coordinator is responsible for the overall management and coordination of all general communications and events for the Umoja Education Foundation. They will manage and produce weekly news bulletins, digital communications, announcements, operating manuals, resources, guidelines, and reports for the Foundation. Responsibilities also include planning content based on Foundation initiatives, events, and issues of importance. The coordinator will support the management of the content, updates, formatting, and design. The Manager works under the general direction of the Director of Communications and Fund Development.
- Five years event planning, marketing, and communications experience (preferred)
- Non-Profit experience (Preferred)
- Social media management experience (Preferred)
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assesses organizational needs, develops and implements plans, strategy and tactics from inception, design and development through to tracking and results measurement.
- Maintains appropriate brand standards. Interfaces with internal and external resources, including outside vendors, for implementation of various projects to support all marketing and communication activities. Ensures projects are delivered on time and within budget with excellent communication to clients.
- Strategizes ideas to improve results, maximize productivity and reduce costs.
- Supports internal and external websites and social media in support of the marketing and communication plan.
- Coordinates relationships with the media ensuring the organization is well represented, the information is accurate and timely, and the organization's programs are widely known in the community.
- Supports the development, execution, monitoring, and measurement of Umoja marketing and communication plans.
- Provides executive and internal communication support.
- Oversees scheduling of annual Umoja events to ensure adequate, quality promotion and coverage of each. Coordinates community relations, ensuring the organization is appropriately represented in the community at strategic functions.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of all aspects of communications, including strategic planning for various media venues, technical aspects and requirements of various venues, and most appropriate and effective applications.
- Solid skills to create, developing, and implement comprehensive long and short-term strategic communications plans.
- Knowledge and skills to advise and consult with management to ensure delivery of the desired message to the target and/or broad general audiences.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills: active listening and political acumen skills.
- Knowledge of location protocols and channels for communication internally and externally.
- Strong problem-solving ability including recognizing problems, developing potential solutions, implementing appropriate solutions, and monitoring and evaluating results or progress.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex situations, data, and/or issues and develop clear and concise options, recommendations, or reports.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of concepts, principles, and practices of event planning and public relations, including event design, organization, and production.
- Demonstrated skill in using common PC-based software, including calendar, e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, database, and presentation software.
- Experience maintaining a high standard of productivity within a broad scope of responsibility despite frequent interruptions. Ability to complete a large volume of diverse tasks efficiently, meeting established deadlines.
How to Apply
Click here to apply. Materials received by Monday, May 15 will receive priority consideration, but applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled.