Welcome to Los Angeles Trade Tech
Umoja, (a Kiswahili word meaning unity) is a community and critical resource dedicated to enhancing the cultural and educational experiences of African American and other students. We believe that when the voices and histories of students are deliberately and intentionally recognized, the opportunity for self-efficacy emerges and a foundation is formed for academic success. Umoja actively serves and promotes student success for all students through a curriculum and pedagogy responsive to the legacy of the African and African American Diasporas.
- Is based on a research-based core set of pedagogies and promising practices;
- Helps to strengthen the academic success of all students;
- Supports the persistence and retention of all students toward defined educational goals, such as transfer, certificate, associate degree;
- Offers both instructional and student services;
- Integrates direct instruction of information and technology literacy;
- Utilizes sound assessment strategies and a set of core benchmark measures;
- Includes recruitment and regular training of students, staff and faculty through seminars, conferences, and other professional development;
- Facilitates the sharing of resources: financial, curriculum, methodologies, pedagogies;
- Commits to collaborating with the campus to ensure integration of the Umoja community and the college’s mission goals, strategic plans, and student equity efforts.
For more information, visit our website.