Umoja Alumni Honored by the Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund
Angelo Hopson, a transfer student from San Bernardino Valley College, was honored at the Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund Gala in Washington, D.C. on October 29, 2018. Hopson received an all-expenses-paid trip to attend the event. He is currently a junior at Clark-Atlanta University in Atlanta, Georgia. He is the recipient of many scholarships that he applied for based on the additional financial assistance that he received from Elaine Moore and Educational Student Tours, plus guidance from Kathy Kafela and Daniele Smith.
He is the epitome of success and all that the Umoja Community hopes for when we engage students in our programs. Below is a list of scholarships that Hopson has recieved during his first semester at Clark-Atlanta University:
- Clark-Atlanta University Transfer Student Scholarship: A $5,000 scholarship for incoming transfer students.
- Thurgood Marshall Scholarship:A $30,000 ($20,000 in tuition assistance, a summer internship in Seattle with Boeing, and a $10,000 signing bonus when he graduates from Clark-Atlanta and begins working for Boeing).
- California Congressional Black Caucus Scholarship: A $2,500 scholarship plus a laptop.
- United Negro College Fund General Scholarship: A $4,000 scholarship
- Panda Cares Scholarship: A $2,500 scholarship.
- Total in scholarships award: $44,000
We would like to congratulate Hopson on his academic achievements.